What You Need to Know to Vote This November
Election Day is November 6. Polls are open from 7:00am -7:00pm. Be sure to check your voter registration status and find your polling location.
What ID You Need to Vote:
All Florida voters, regardless of the identification provided when registering, must present photo and signature identification when they vote in person (early or on Election Day). Acceptable photo IDs are:
- Florida driver’s license;
- FL ID card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
- US Passport
- Debit or Credit Card if a picture is included;
- Military ID;
- Student ID;
- Retirement Center ID; or
- Neighborhood Association ID or Public Assistance ID.
First time voters who have not been issued a FL driver’s license number, ID number or Social Security number must provide ID as listed above or can provide a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check or other government document (including those issued by a public college or university) that shows the voter's name and current address.
If your photo ID does not include a signature, you will be required to show additional ID that contains your signature at the polls.
Voting Early or By Absentee Ballot:
All Florida voters may vote early in-person or by absentee without an excuse. Early in-person voting is open between October 27-November 3. Click here to find hours and locations. To vote by absentee ballot, the county supervisor of elections must receive your application by 5pm on October 31. Click here to learn how to request an absentee ballot.
Recent Changes to Florida's Voting Laws
Last year, Florida passed a law reducing the early voting period from 14 days to 8 days. It also eliminates early voting the Sunday before the election – a day that many African-American and Hispanic voters voted in past elections. Additionally, voters can no longer update their voter registration at the polls if they have moved within the state. They can still update their registration at the polls if they moved within the county.
- Guide to Get Out the Vote (GOTV) in Florida (2012)
- Identification Requirements to Vote in Florida (2012)
- Conducting Voter Registration Drives in Florida (2012)
- Voter Eligibility Guide for Florida (2012)
- Florida Student Voting Guide (2012)
- Voter Advocates Sue Florida Over Purge
- Civil Rights, Voting Groups File Suit Over Florida Voter Purge
- Voter Suppression Spotlight Shouldn't Stray Too Far From Florida
- Senate Hearing Spotlights Voting Law Changes in Florida
- Protect Access to the Polls